Monday, September 15, 2014

Tabula Rasa by Kristen Lippert-Martin

Tabula Rasa by Kristen Lippert-Martin
Available Sept 23rd
Egmont USA
Hardcover 352 pages
YA Sci-Fi Adventure
To Buy Links- Amazon/ Kindle/ Audible/ MP3 CD/ BN/ Book Depository/ Indiebound/ Kobo

Goodreads- The Bourne Identity meets Divergent in this heart-pounding debut.

Sixteen-year-old Sarah has a rare chance at a new life. Or so the doctors tell her. She’s been undergoing a cutting-edge procedure that will render her a tabula rasa—a blank slate. Memory by memory her troubled past is being taken away.

But when her final surgery is interrupted and a team of elite soldiers invades the isolated hospital under cover of a massive blizzard, her fresh start could be her end. 

Navigating familiar halls that have become a dangerous maze with the help of a teen computer hacker who's trying to bring the hospital down for his own reasons, Sarah starts to piece together who she is and why someone would want her erased. And she won’t be silenced again.

A high-stakes thriller featuring a non-stop race for survival and a smart heroine who will risk everything, Tabula Rasa is, in short, unforgettable.

This reminds me more of the Alex Rider series, a middle grade series I loved to read with my son and still love. The difference is the characters are older and there is a touch of romance. It was really well written and I was "on the edge of my seat" while reading it most of the time. I read it in one night. 

Sarah is the main character who is getting part of her memory removed for a reason she doesn't remember when something happens. Sarah is already strong when we first meet her. You know she doesn't have a mental illness just by the way she thinks and takes in her surroundings. You can tell she's almost spy like. I wasn't right in guessing what she was, but maybe you'll be better at guessing. A few pages in and all heck breaks loose. The world is not what it seems and then Sarah's world becomes a battle ground with casualties and memories. 

The situations that Sarah finds herself in are not that unbelievable. Well, I can't imagine this scenario happening, but my world is fairly small. The things that happen in the book aren't of the kind that Sarah gets last minute unbelievable saves and things just happen to fall into place. No, Sarah has to fight for every scrap of help she gets. Her hacker friend does come in handy, in many, many ways, but you'll see why he is limited in helping her.

This is a very fast paced thriller with just a little bit of sci-fi in it. So little that I don't think it was even necessary, but it did help me buy the last bit of action. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and highly recommend it to lovers of YA thrillers! There is violence and maybe some language, but I don't recall anything else that would make this objectionable. I'd recommend it for 12 and up.

Thanks to Egmont for a copy of the novel for review!! This did not affect my review in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.

Kristen Lippert-Martin


  1. Thanks for the review! I'm in the mood for some fast-paced thrillers, so I will have to add this one to the TBR pile.

  2. This looks fantastic, I love this genre. I would recommend Alane Adams, she has a book called The Red Sun. is her site. She writes a great sci-fi read. Martin's book is definitely on my tbr list now and I can't wait!

  3. Never heard of this one, Heather, but thanks for the recommendation. I'll be sure to pass it along to my reluctant readers.

  4. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the smidge of sci-fi as I'd likely want more, knowing me, but thrillers are always a genre I don't read too much of and then always want to read so I'll have to give this one a try for sure. Thanks for putting it on my radar, Heather! :)

  5. I do enjoy a good thriller YA! Oh and that cover is so creepy! Will be checking this one out.

    Hope you are doing well!

  6. The fast paced nature makes it sounds great

  7. This sounds amazing, I've been getting into thriller's lately and with the sci-fi edge, it sounds perfect. A nice change. Great review and definitely going on my TBR list!
    I think your above poster is a bit off the mark


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva