Friday, October 3, 2014

Salt and Storm by Kendall Kulper

Salt and Storm by Kendall Kulper
Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Hardcover 416 pages
YA Historical/Paranormal
Free Preview- Here
To Buy Links- Amazon/ Kindle/ BN/ Indiebound/ Book Depository

Goodreads-  A sweeping historical romance about a witch who foresees her own murder--and the one boy who can help change her future.

Sixteen-year-old Avery Roe wants only to take her rightful place as the witch of Prince Island, making the charms that keep the island's whalers safe at sea, but her mother has forced her into a magic-free world of proper manners and respectability. When Avery dreams she's to be murdered, she knows time is running out to unlock her magic and save herself.

Avery finds an unexpected ally in a tattooed harpoon boy named Tane--a sailor with magic of his own, who moves Avery in ways she never expected. Becoming a witch might stop her murder and save her island from ruin, but Avery discovers her magic requires a sacrifice she never prepared for.


I love witches. The Witch of Blackbird Pond remains one of my favorite childhood books. However, as an adult, I haven't found a lot of witch books that have lived up to my childhood favorite. Avery Roe and her tale is one of those stories. Avery is a strong minded girl, fighting her mother tooth and nail to return to her grandmother, the last Roe witch, so that she can learn how to use her magic. Avery's mother refuses to let her become the witch, declaring that she has ended the line. She has seen the life her mother lived and she doesn't want it for her daughter. But it's what Avery wants, she feels the magic crawling inside her, desperate to get out. And her mother is just as desperate to keep Avery with her, going so far as to marry a preacher, a wealthy one, and giving Avery a lady's education so that she can make a good match.

Then, Avery has her dream of being murdered and knows she only has a little time to become the Roe witch and change her fate, if that's even possible. She's a dream teller and she's never known anyone to change their fate, even when they tried. The islanders rely on the Roe witch for protection and safety. Love, happiness, wealth, fidelity, they believe that the Roe witches are responsible for it all. So, if a charm know how it goes. The thought that there will be no Roe witch after Avery's grandmother dies is something no one wants to entertain. Avery feels a deep need to take on the role of the Roe witch, fighting against her mother, hating her for keeping her from her rightful place and her grandmother. She feels her roots in the island and an obligation, a sense of duty to the island. That she can't fulfill the duty makes her feel like she's betraying her island. She is both taunted and revered. 

Tane is such a breath of fresh air on this island of sailors, whalers and widows. He comes from an island so far away it's taken years for him to sail to Prince Island. He and Avery make a striking pair, his magic is from a strange land and she cannot access hers. He seeks her out for her dream telling powers, but they both have something to learn from each other. Tane's patience with Avery is almost poetic, his willingness to help her more than brave. And Avery, in return was brave for Tane.

Yes, being the Roe witch takes sacrifice. Something no one ever told Avery. The lessons she learns one after another in quick succession barely allow her to catch her breath before she has to handle another seemingly insurmountable situation. Her life hangs in the balance many times. And Tane is there beside her. 

I highly recommend this novel! If you love historical novels this is a great one. But if you love witch stories, I think you'll really love this one. For me to place it next to The Witch of Blackbird Pond, it is an incredible story. I loved it! 

Thanks to Little Brown Books for Young Readers for an e-ARC through NetGalley. I was not compensated for this review. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

Find Kendall Kulper


  1. I can't recall if I read WItch of Blackbird Pond growing up, now I must read it. I have been curious about this one because I long for a good witch story. I think I will have to try it if you recommend it so highly. Welcome back.

  2. I have to admit that my only reservation is the whaling. :( Poor whales. It does sound like that is more the backdrop than the main issue. I think I can handle it. I do like the sound of the witches and it is a perfect time for it. Brilly review!

    Hope your weekend is good!

    1. Hey! Thanks, I hope your weekend is good too!

      As far as the whaling goes, the story begins with a dream involving the capture and death of a whale in Avery's dream of her murder. She feels what the whale feels. It would probably be upsetting. It was to me but I got wrapped up in the mystery. There is a weird kind of circle of life at the end that fits that dream. But there is a description of whaling and as this is in the past, they used harpoons. It's a transitional time, right before kerosene. There are only two whale killings described and in the end, the whales win out in a way. I just don't understand why whales are still killed. But that's another issue. Ask me if you have any questions. I try to check my email a couple times a week.

    2. Maybe to add to the story's historical authenticity?

  3. I love The Witch of Blackbird Pond! In fact, Mason and David both read it! Such an honor to be compared to it!
    Salt and Storm sounds fantastic, although, I'm with Melissa on the whaling portion, I can't even watch it on The Discovery Channel! I think I can skim through the more upsetting portions ...
    Great review, Heather! I'm looking forward to this one!
    Recipe on it's way (we had some drama this week, Mason broke his arm!)

  4. I'm so glad to hear you loved this one, Heather! I read some iffy reviews of it at first.

  5. I dont do a whole lot of HF but have heard wonderful things about this one


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva