Friday, February 20, 2015

Dream a Little Dream by Kerstin Gier

Dream a Little Dream (Silver 1) by Kerstin Gier
Available April 14, 2015
Henry Holt and Company
Hardcover 336 pages
Young Adult Realistic/Supernatural Fiction

Goodreads-  Mysterious doors with lizard-head knobs. Talking stone statues. A crazy girl with a hatchet. Yep, Liv’s dreams have been pretty weird lately. Especially this one where she’s in a graveyard at night, watching four boys perform dark magic rituals. 

The really weird thing is that Liv recognizes the boys in her dream. They’re classmates from her new school in London, the school where’s she’s starting over because her mom has moved them to a new country (again). But they seem to know things about her in real life that they couldn’t possibly know, which is mystifying. Then again, Liv could never resist a good mystery. . . .

So, would you believe a dream where you could feel the touch of someone's hand? Where you saw dark magic rituals and felt the breath of something sinister lurking in the shadows? What if you woke up and found out you had the same dream as four other boys. And they believed in a demon, even the one with the dreamy eyes who you can't stop thinking about.....No, neither does Liv. Everything has a reasonable, logical explanation. So says Sherlock Holmes. And she and her sister Mia have always solved problems with logic.

Mia and Liv have traveled the world with their mother from one job to another with their au pair, Lottie, who they are much too old for now but can't bare to part with now.  So they find themselves in London with their dog Buttercup and a new family, her mother's boyfriend Ernest and his twin's just a year older than Liv, Grayson and Florence. And while Florence tries to make everyone miserable, Grayson tries to keep Liv from joining his friends in their nefarious game with a book of shadows and seals and a demon demanding loyalty.

I loved Kerstin Gier's Ruby Red Trilogy, a big favorite of mine. As you can tell by the size of the cover I felt it was something you should all see. I think it's beautiful and I can't wait for my own copy. I loved this story! Liv is just one of those characters that cannot be shaken from thinking rationally. She doesn't get scared by obvious innuendos and veiled threats. She's almost one of the boys. There is absolutely NO LOVE TRIANGLE. It is quite obvious who she likes and the romance is done quite well, developing over time. This one is a little more grown up than the Ruby Red Trilogy and it flies by. There is a fabulous picnic in Hyde Park described that made me so jealous. You have to read it for that alone. But the dream sequence are great as well. It's a great start to the trilogy though I'm not sure why it's called the Silver Trilogy.** The translation, as always, is impeccable.

I highly recommend the novel!  And Kerstin Gier's other trilogy as well. It's creative and descriptive and unique. There is some drinking involved and some talk about sex. Nothing graphic. The ending gave me chills.

***I am so stupid. No really, Liv's last name is Silver. Um, no excuse, none at all. Just stupid.****
Thanks to Henry Holt and Co and NetGalley for an eARC of the novel. My review reflects my opinions only and was not influenced by this at all.
Find Kersin Gier


  1. I loved this book as well! Just read a blog post from someone who DNFd it and they said the little jokes and such in the dialogue weren't funny, and I almost got all defensive about it! I'll be posting a review closer to the release date. Great review!

  2. So glad you loved this one. It sounds terrific. I love the whole concepts fo the dreams. I have a copy of this one and I am most eager to dig into it. I have heard great things about this author and this is going to be my first go with her. Hope things are well in your world! Have a great weekend.

  3. I have been waiting to read more of her books, excited this will arrive this spring.

  4. Oh this looks good! Now I have to read it for the picnic scene. I'm curious! Brilly review!

  5. Yay I'm so glad to hear this was good. I picked up a copy at ALA so now I can't wait to read it. I also love that you said there was no love triangle and that the book was a little more grown up.
    Thanks for the great review!

  6. I also loved the Ruby Red trilogy, which were such a fun series. I'm looking forward to picking this one up soon.


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva