Thursday, March 12, 2015

Perfect Ruin- The Internment Chronicles One by Lauren DeStefano

Perfect Ruin- The Internment Chronicles One by Lauren DeStefano
Available Now
Amazon/ Kindle/ Audible/ Audiobook/ B&N/ Book Depostiory/ Indiebound/ Kobo

YA/Fiction/ Dystopian

Goodreads: On the floating city of Internment, you can be anything you dream, unless you approach the edge. Morgan Stockhour knows getting too close can lead to madness, like her older brother Lex, a Jumper. She takes solace in her best friend Pen, and in Basil, the boy she’s engaged to marry. When she investigates the first murder in a generation, she meets Judas. The suspect was betrothed to the victim, but Morgan believes he is innocent. Nothing can prepare Morgan for the secrets she will find – or whom she will lose.

So, I have discovered the joy of reading for pleasure! You know, when you first started out blogging and you didn't know about ARCs and you didn't have a schedule for posting reviews. Do you remember that time? I have just rediscovered that time. I am loving it! And really working on my TBR list! I'm excited about reading again! So this one has been sitting on my Kindle since November of 2013!
I haven't read anything by Lauren DeStefano but I knew the reputation of the Chemical Garden Trilogy  so I thought I'd try this expecting, I don't know, hoping for something very different in the dystopian genre. I was really surprised by this one. First that Internment was described as it was, an island floating in the clouds, made as if a giant hand had scooped up a piece of land from below and placed it there. So I could really picture what Internment looked like. And the size of it. It is contained in the air so there is no slipping out unless you jump, but there are ferocious winds that surround the border of Internment so that something happens to anyone that tries to jump. That seems man made, but who knows? And Internment sounds like a place of punishment, doesn't it? Kind of like how Australia started out as a penal colony. But we don't get a lot of history about the early days of  Internment, only that there have always been royalty and there used to be a kind of hierarchy of people being used as slaves. So you couldn't always be anything you wanted to be just by dreaming. And why do people want to get off of Internment? Why aren't they content? They don't have to worry about food, money, a job. They do have a space problem on Internment. You have to sign up to have a child and there are no accidental babies. You have to get the ok from the King.

So, throughout the book, I'm thinking why jump? I know why Lex jumped. I know why Alice is upset. I get the idea of why the murder happened. There is rebellion going around and it needs to be stopped. But I'm thinking about our world compared to Internment and trying to figure out why rebel? What is so bad about it? Certainly there are rules, but we have them as well, they are called laws and they maintain order, somewhat. There is relative safety on Internment. Even the Jumpers aren't punished. There don't appear to be slums or  homeless people. So is it curiosity that makes them jump? The desire for more than what there is on Internment? There is freedom already on Internment. But there is a lack of space. So a need for more must be the motivation. More space, more information, more freedom, more choices, more chances.
I'm not sure what they are going to find when they get to the ground, but I know what's to be found in our world. I hope they aren't disappointed. As I write this, the second book is due out tomorrow. I'll know what happens in a bit.


  1. I have been wanting to try this author for so long and I just havent' gotten around to it. I am so glad you are recommending this one. I really need to get it now.

  2. I've been holding out on this author since her books receive such mixed reviews, so I guess I really should try her out for myself and see if her style works for me. I'll be curious to see what you make of the sequel!

  3. Such a pretty cover! I was a bit "meh" about her other series and wasn't sure if I wanted to go through that again with this one, but it does sound quite different. I want to know more about this floating island. I may have to check it out.

  4. Oh I'm curious about this one now! I also remember a time... long ago... when I read for pleasure. I tried that at the beginning of the year and failed. I have so many read for review books now on my tbr! I knew I would do that. :) I hope the second book is as good or better than this one! Have fun!

  5. Haven't heard of that one yet, but you make it sound so nice. Maybe it's worth a look, I'll definitely add this one to my Goodreads.

    Jen @ The Bookavid

  6. This was my first Lauren DeStefano book to read as well -- I'm so glad someone else enjoyed it as much as I did! Having finished, I was surprised I hadn't seen more buzz about it. And now the sequel is out (: Happy reading!


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva