Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey


The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

So, I saw the movie trailer and was sufficiently intrigued. Not that I needed a lot of convincing. My fellow blogger and friend Heidi at Rainy Day Ramblings has raved about this one. I have about 650 "friends" on Goodreads and I believe this book has been reviewed by more of my "friends" than any other book I've read. Honestly, I didn't even own this book until the movie trailer started showing on the t.v. screen and then I was hooked. And it's a shame that I bought not one, but two more books because I have a BOOK ROOM! My blog name is real. But I could have worse habits.

THE BOOK
First the narration is unique. It starts out with Cassie, a young female who is telling us what happened when the mothership parked above the planet. She is somewhat detached as she recounts what happens in each wave. Interspersed are real time chapters and other narrators. It sounds complicated but it isn't and I think the way the "waves" are recounted is done well. There would be way too much detail to go into earthquakes and tsunamis and all. The simpler the better. The effect is the same- total devastation. I like the uncomplicated way Cassie sees the world and describes the alien takeover. As a character, she's okay. I probably liked her more in the beginning of the book than the last part of the book. And I can't really pinpoint why that is, maybe her not seeing what she should have sooner. Maybe her reliance on someone. She lost her hard edge. But she never strayed from her mission.

I can't comment on all the characters but I will say that my favorite was Ringer. She was smart, tough, better than any of the guys and though we don't get her story, we aren't even sure how old she is, we know she isn't dead behind those eyes. She never wavers. She never loses her edge and she always wins. I can't tell if she has feelings for Zombie or if that's something he's just hoping for but I guarantee if that is something she wants, it'll happen and she'll keep him alive to make sure it does.

The story is what kept my mouth hanging open and had me explaining the whole book to three otherwise engaged men/boys who could have cared less. I can't really say much without giving the plot away but there are twists and turns and betrayals so that you don't know what to believe or who to believe or who is who. The only thing you know is that the aliens are winning. And you aren't sure what humans have to beat them with except maybe hope or soul or faith or love. Or all of those things. And I am glad that we have those things. Because we all read dystopians and science fiction and apocalyptic novels and close the book with the relief that it didn't really happen. But Rick Yancey has scared the pants off me! I closed the book and thought, "Damn, that could happen. We have these stupid ideas that aliens want to be friends with us. And can be beaten. What if they just want our planet and want to wipe us out???" It's a scary thought. I hope someone has a plan for that because I'm not sure I could ever be ready for The 5th Wave!

I do highly recommend this novel with some cautions. There is a lot of violence (shooting, fighting to the death) death from various benign and not so benign causes, and some mention of sexual assaults and being naked but no sex on the page or sex at all that I recall. So use your judgement. I don't know what they will do in the movie. I haven't noticed the ratings. I wouldn't hesitate to let anyone 10 and up read this- it's no worse than some of the video games I've seen, the school hallways or the nightly news. But that's your call mom and dad!

Have you patted yourself on the back today??





12 comments:

  1. I doubt I'll see the film, but I was tempted to give the book a go. Problem is, I have a pile of books waiting for me as it is. :)

    Glad to see you back to writing on the blog! Hope all is well and that 2016 is starting fantastically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey- Sorry we lost touch! The end of 2015 was the pits. So yes, 2016 has started fantastically!! I'm going to try to write a few posts a week. We'll see if I can keep up. Just depends on what the year brings. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I still haven't read this one, Heather! I also saw the movie trailer which had me intrigued and wanting to pick up the book. Glad you really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you liked it as well, the book sure presents some crazy realistic issue to tackle for the humankind doesn't it..... Great review :)

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does! It really makes you think!

      Delete
  4. I loved this one, and sadly I haven't continued the series, it is on my list for the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it because I knew you liked the book. Otherwise I would have just seen the movie. But wow, the book!

      Delete
  5. YaY! I missed you! :)

    I've been more curious myself since the movie came out. Not sure which I will do first, but I will probably read these. It looks like I may have need of the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed you too! I missed everyone. It was just a rough last six months of the year.

      I don't know how well they will stick to the book, you know how that goes. You'll probably enjoy the movie more if you aren't comparing it to the book. I'm the other way though, I like to compare. And I like to know what's coming :)

      Delete
  6. So, after seeing the trailer...I decided to read the book. Sadly, I did not like the book at all. I didn't like the writing and never once connected with the characters. :/

    BUT that did not stop me from seeing the movie LOL. I just saw The 5th Wave over the weekend, and gotta admit it was pretty good! And faithful to the book, some things changed but for the most part everything stayed in order.

    Did you catch the movie yet? What did you think? While I didn't like the first book, I am now debating whether or not to read book #2, just so I can find out what happens next. Weird, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you didn't like the book but glad to hear that the movie sticks to the book pretty much. I haven't seen it. We were snowed in this weekend. I'll probably go by myself, no one seems interested here.

      Delete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva