Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Are You There God? It's Me Margaret by Judy Blume

By Judy Blume
Available Now
First Published in 1970

So this book came out when I was five. But I didn't read this until much later. I don't even remember when I read it. I might have been in junior high school- what middle school is now. Maybe 7th grade. It's one of those books we hid from our parents while we read. I remember talking about it in hushed tones with my cousin on the bus.

Now that I read it, I have to remember what the climate was when it was written. I temper my criticisms with remembering how people were back then close to 50 years ago. Religion was important whereas many people identify with being spiritual these days. Mixed religion marriages and being raised in no religion is more commonplace, now. Margaret felt left out in 1970 but she'd feel at home today, I think. Every child is different, of course.

I think it's still a classic book and young girls today can extrapolate the best information in the book, that they will all mature at some point and not to worry about it. And as for the girls that mature early, it isn't easy being that girl. Assumptions are made and yet every girl wants to look like her. Puberty is so hard and I think Judy Blume's book Are You There God? It's Me Margaret is relevant today.

Find Judy Blume at Blog


  1. I loved this book, it's really good and even though it's now a bit of a classic it's still relevant and a really great read.

    1. Yes, it's one of those books that I think everyone should read, not just girls.

  2. I haven't read this but I wish I had when I was growing up since it probably would have helped so much. Glad you still enjoyed it reading it now--I should give it a try soon!

    1. I read after, I read this edition, that Judy Blume updated the female products used in the original book. If you're a purist you might want to search out the original edition.

  3. I don't recall reading this one as a kid, but I read it a couple of years ago because it is a banned book. I thought it was well written and I liked the exploration of a girl trying to understand religion. The whole puberty thing was well done too. Judy Blume always knew how to push the envelope.

  4. Gosh, I have no clue when I read this book either, but I do remember loving it and could relate to Margaret on some level.

  5. I never read this one but Tiger Eyes was my fave Blume book. It would be interesting to read it now and seeing how different and how much the same everything is since the book was written.


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva