Monday, February 1, 2016

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

THE SUGAR QUEEN By Sarah Addison Allen
Available Now
Published by Bantam

Alright, I know this is not a YA book. It could be NA, but it wouldn't be the typical NA with all the sex. This is a great book about a woman who, at 27 is still trying to live down the stories of her childhood and win her mother's love and approval. In the meantime, she fills that hole inside of her with candy and cakes and comforting foods and romance novels that she hides in the secret space in her closet. And she secretly loves Adam, the mailman who she can feel coming, a little magical thing she has going on.

Now, this book appealed to me on so many levels. It's an easy story to read, a little bit of magic in it and some big character growth with a nice romance and a little bit of danger. But I can't tell you how long I had to hear stories of my childhood repeated every time my family got together, told expressly to embarrass me. They weren't even that bad. Certainly not so the whole town or even the neighborhood talked about them, but they kept me down, and afraid to speak up for a very long time, well into my adult years. And I worked hard for parental approval as well. Something you learn when you're older, no amount of stuff, clothes, food, things (maybe books wink, wink) will ever earn you your parents' approval. The problem is with them not you, and something we learn in the book as we read on about Josey and her mother, Margaret. 

Josey opens her closet one morning to find Della Lee, the down on her luck waitress in her closet and Josey can't get her to leave. Through Della  Lee, Josey's world begins to open up. Once she takes the first step, there is no going back. But Josey isn't the only character in this book. Della Lee is an enigma, for a little while. I had her figured out about halfway through the novel. Chloe is a great character that I loved to see grow and understand who she was. And the ending was perfect! 

If you need a little break from the same old thing, I would highly recommend this book. You might find you have something in common with one of the characters whether you need to forgive, move on or break out of your shell. It's an uplifting, feel good story. I'll probably read some more of her books in the future.

Find Sarah Addison Allen Here


  1. I am so glad you love this one. I didn't have the thing figured out with Della Lee, I don't know why, totally missed it. The romance was so sweet and I just loved the hint of magic. I really hope you read another book by Sarah.

  2. I love this author and I haven't read this one yet. She made me love the magical realism genre. I'm with Heidi... read more of her. :)

  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed this! It's one of my favorites of Allen, along with Garden Spells. Her writing is so beautiful and the characters in this are so near and dear to my heart. Lovely review!

  4. I haven't read anything by this author yet, but I know Heidi just loves her books. I think I might give this author a shot. I could definitely use a pick me upper kind of a story.


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva